As a writer, did you fall in love with books before you ever thought of writing? We know books are important to better our society, but do we know why books are important to us as writers?
We fall in love with characters, travel to different worlds, and are left with a sense of wonder and longing after we read a good book. Sometimes I finish a book, but I’m so disappointed because there are NO MORE pages! I love when books are that good.😍
Is a good story the only reason why books are important to writers? No way! There’s so much more to it than that. Especially as storytellers ourselves. Check out these 20 Quotes all about reading and why you need to do more of it!
20 Reasons Why Books are Important to Writers:
- Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.- Anne Herbert
- Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the
destination,and the journey. They are home.- Anna Quindlen
- When in doubt, go to the library– Unknown
- No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.- Confucious
- I think books are like people, in the sense that they’ll turn up in your life when you most need them.- Emma Thompson
- If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales.-Einstein
- Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.- Plato
- We write by the light of every story we have ever read.– Richard Peck
- The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap. It consoles. It distracts. It excites. It gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination- Elizabeth Hardwick
- In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.- Mortimer J Adler
- Reading should not be presented to children as a chore, a duty. It should be offered as a gift– Charles Scriber, Jr.
- Here’s the thing: The book that will change your life the most, is the book you write.- Seth Godin
- A villain is just a victim whose story hasn’t been told. -Chris Colfer
- Read a thousand books and your words will flow like a river.- Virginia Woolf
- The purpose of literature is to turn blood into ink. – TS Eliot
- The book to read is not the one that thinks for you but the one which makes you think.-Harper Lee
- If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. -Haruki Murakami
- Reading forces you to be quiet in a world that no longer makes a place for that. -John Green
- The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame.- Oscar Wilde
- You are a reader, and therefore a thinker, an observer, a living soul who wants more out of this human experience. -Salil Jha
The reason why reading is important to writers is for the immersion of story, to find our own voice, and to understand good execution of our craft when we see it.
Go get lost in a story. Lock the door, make yourself some tea, and cuddle up. You don’t need me to tell you twice. Especially now that you know why books are important to writers (Which includes you! 😉)
For More Inspiring Quotes You Need, Check out These Articles:
- 35 Inspiring Quotes for Writers
- 45 Quotes to Push You to Start Writing
- Why All Writers Should Read Comp Books