“Oh, you write kids’ books? That’s nice. What’s your real job?”
No – that IS my real job!
Hey there! I’m Brooke Van Sickle, published children’s book author and owner of Journey to KidLit. I made the decision to ignore the haters and chase my dream of writing kids’ books seriously in the summer of 2018.
“I get to do what I love every freaking day! Write books for kids that inspire and ignite my soul.”-Brooke Van Sickle
After four years of spinning my wheels, hoping to get published, but still being stuck in the same place of having manuscripts with nothing to show for it, I was DONE. No one asks a doctor or electrician what their day jobs are. And I don’t think they should for authors either.
It took me a few more months and critiques to polish my picture book manuscripts, but by the end of 2020, I will be a 3-time published picture book author with BiblioKid Publishing. But that’s not where my journey ends. It’s only just beginning!
Now, I see my books sold at Barnes & Noble. I go on school visits to classrooms with students who can’t wait to meet the “famous” author. And I get to do what I love every freaking day — write books for kids that inspire and ignite my soul.
And I want the same thing for ALL children’s book writers!
This is why I started Journey to KidLit in 2019. Each month, I help over 10,000 writers find the information they need to not only write the book they can’t stop thinking about but also know how to publish and market that book.
At Journey to KidLit, we focus on ALL avenues of children’s book publishing, too. Not just the traditional path that takes years and years of rejection to break into. Because if you’re like me and want to do something with your picture book manuscript this year, you shouldn’t have to wait 10 years to see something happen with it.
You’re in the right place if you want to:
- Hold a real-life, tangible copy of YOUR own book in your hands.
- Sign books at local bookstores for a line of waiting fans.
- See your book on the bookshelf at Barnes & Noble next to all your favorites.
- Visit schools and inspire students with your writing.
- Become a children’s book writer who gets to do what they love EVERY single day — write books that kids ask to read again and again!
Let’s make it happen!
I’m so excited you’ve found me and can’t wait to help you through this journey. The best thing for you to do right now is to take action. Stop dreaming about getting published and actually MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Get your children’s book template here. Then go print it and start outlining your story. From there, I’ll guide you on the best steps for you to get published and change your Twitter bio from “aspiring” children’s book author to “published”.
Talk to you soon!
XOXO Brooke Van Sickle
PS – To learn even more about me, visit my personal website at brookevansickle.com to see my books, schedule a school or conference visit, or know what’s happening in my world as an author.
Other Interviews & Guest Posts with me around the Web:
- What it takes to write kids’ books with Rhys Keller
- Overcoming imposter syndrome and going for your dreams with Ruth Soukup
- What books you should be reading in 2019 – Reading with your kids
- 6 Simple Steps to Write a Kid’s Book – Guest Post with Darlene Beck Jacobson
- How to Incorporate a Picture Book into the Classroom – Guest Post at Unleashing Readers
- Author Interview at Frog on a (B)log with Lauri Fortino
- Author Interview with Darlene Beck Johnson for Pirates Stuck at “C”
- Author Interview with Jennifer Prevost for Pirates Stuck at “C”
- 6-month Check-in with Ruth Soukup — How’d it go?