Hi there, future author! I’m Brooke Van Sickle and I want to help you write a GOOD children’s book. (Not a boring story people will want to toss in the trash.)
I started Journey to Kidlit in 2019 after meeting so many well-intentioned people with a story in their heart, but zero clue about how to turn that dream into a reality. They needed a platform to find all the answers to their questions easily and accurately. (If you’ve ever met me, you know I’m not one to beat around the bush. 😜)
But it’s not enough to know HOW to write a children’s book — anyone can teach you that. Instead, at Journey to Kidlit, we also focus on the writing techniques that make your story FUN to read. We are children’s book writers with the attention span of a 5-year-old after all.
So if you’re ready to write not only your first story, but something that will be engaging and entertaining for even the youngest reader, then you’re in the right place. (Yes – even stories about kindness, overcoming adversity, or any other awesome takeaway can still be enjoyable to read.)
Here’s what my own writing journey has looked like.
“I get to do what I love every freaking day! Help writers create the books they’ve been dreaming of.”-Brooke Van Sickle
I decided I wanted to write children’s books in 2014. And like many new writers, I had NO IDEA what I was doing. 🙊 I made so many mistakes.
But it didn’t take me long before I found a network of writers to help me out. And after hundreds of hours reading every craft book on children’s writing, attending conferences near and far, and getting critique after critique, I FINALLY could call myself a published author. 🎉
Now, I’m the ARA for Iowa SCBWI and a member of multiple publishing groups like IBPA, MiPA, & IPG. My books have received awards like the Moonbeam Children’s Awards, Purple Dragonfly, and the Independent Press Award for favorite children’s preschool picture book.
But my all-time favorite part about being an author isn’t the awards or accolades — it’s getting Instagram messages and Snapchats of kids reading my books. Laughing when Larry gets a lobster stuck on his toe. And asking their parents to read This is My Castle for the fifth time in a row.
The stuff we spend all our time dreaming about as authors has finally come true for me. Now, I want the same for you.
You’ve come to the right place if you want to:
- Write a children’s book that kids enjoy
- Connect with a publisher who celebrates and loves your writing so much — they can’t wait to see it in print
- And share that awesome story with families all over the world.
Together, we’re going to make it happen!
I can’t wait to help you through this journey. Now, go get your children’s book template. Print it out and start outlining your story.
It’s the first step you need to take on your journey.
Talk to you soon!
Brooke Van Sickle – Founder | Journey to Kidlit
PS – To learn even more about me, visit my author website at brookevansickle.com to see my books, schedule a school or conference visit, and know what’s happening in my world as an author.
Other Interviews & Guest Posts with me around the Web:
- What it takes to write kids’ books with Rhys Keller
- Overcoming imposter syndrome and going for your dreams with Ruth Soukup
- What books you should be reading in 2019 – Reading with your kids podcast
- 6 Simple Steps to Write a Kid’s Book – Guest Post with Darlene Beck Jacobson
- How to Incorporate a Picture Book into the Classroom – Guest Post at Unleashing Readers
- Author Interview at Frog on a (B)log with Lauri Fortino
- Author Interview with Darlene Beck Johnson for Pirates Stuck at “C”
- Author Interview with Jennifer Prevost for Pirates Stuck at “C”
- 6-month Check-in with Ruth Soukup — How’d it go?
- Host of the KidLit Indie Publishing Summit Spotlight Feature with Rinda Beach
- Women in the Spotlight Interview with Illuminate Communications
- The Ins & Outs of Book Publishing – Interview for the Love of Literacy Podcast
- How to Easily Create an Author Website – KidzTales Guest Post