Hi there, future author! I’m Brooke Van Sickle and I want to help YOU publish your first children’s book.
I first started Journey to KidLit in 2019 as a way to network and connect with other writers because I saw so many other authors who were like me when I started writing books. They had an idea for a children’s book and no idea what to do to make that dream a reality.
So I created a platform where I could share my knowledge with people like you, in order for you to become whatever kind of children’s book author you want to be. (Even the full-time income-earning type. 😉)
Now, Journey to Kidlit helps over 10,000 writers each month find the information they need to not only write the book they can’t stop thinking about but also know how to publish and market that book. If you were worried you were going to have to do this alone, don’t be. You’re in a community of other writers who, like you, have a passion for sharing stories with kids and getting their books out there.
Here’s what my own writing journey has looked like.
“I get to do what I love every freaking day! Help writers create the books they’ve been dreaming of.”-Brooke Van Sickle
I decided I wanted to write children’s books in 2014. And like many new writers, I had NO IDEA what I was doing. 🙊 I made so many mistakes.
But it didn’t take me long before I found a network of writers to help me out. And after hundreds of hours reading every craft book on children’s writing, attending conferences near and far, and getting critique after critique, I FINALLY could call myself a published author. 🎉
Now, I’m the ARA for Iowa SCBWI and member of multiple publishing groups like IBPA, MiPA, & IPG. My books have received awards like the Moonbeam Children’s Awards, Purple Dragonfly, and Mom’s Choice for honoring excellence in children’s books.
But I think my favorite part is I’m now the publisher at an American hybrid publishing house called BiblioKid Publishing, where I get to help writers create the books they’ve been dreaming about every day!
You’ve come to the right place if you want to:
- Write your first-ever children’s book
- Find a publisher who believes in your book as much as you do. (Even if that publisher is yourself!)
- Share that book with children all over the world.
Together, we’re going to make it happen!
I can’t wait to help you through this journey. The best thing for you to do right now is to get your children’s book template. Print it out and start outlining your story.
From there, I’ll guide you on the best steps for you to get started writing, so you change your Twitter bio to published children’s author.
Talk to you soon!
XOXO Brooke Van Sickle
PS – To learn even more about me, visit my author website at brookevansickle.com to see my books, schedule a school or conference visit, and know what’s happening in my world as an author.
Other Interviews & Guest Posts with me around the Web:
- What it takes to write kids’ books with Rhys Keller
- Overcoming imposter syndrome and going for your dreams with Ruth Soukup
- What books you should be reading in 2019 – Reading with your kids podcast
- 6 Simple Steps to Write a Kid’s Book – Guest Post with Darlene Beck Jacobson
- How to Incorporate a Picture Book into the Classroom – Guest Post at Unleashing Readers
- Author Interview at Frog on a (B)log with Lauri Fortino
- Author Interview with Darlene Beck Johnson for Pirates Stuck at “C”
- Author Interview with Jennifer Prevost for Pirates Stuck at “C”
- 6-month Check-in with Ruth Soukup — How’d it go?
- Host of the KidLit Indie Publishing Summit Spotlight Feature with Rinda Beach
- Women in the Spotlight Interview with Illuminate Communications
- The Ins & Outs of Book Publishing – Interview for the Love of Literacy Podcast
- How to Easily Create an Author Website – KidzTales Guest Post